Lawyer Referral Service

LRS Blog

Posted by: Maricopa Lawyers on Aug 22, 2016

Aside from a couple of states that require you to have a real estate attorney to do the closing on your house, you do not always need to hire an attorney to help you sell your house. Selling you home is a lot of work though, so if you decide to hire a lawyer they will help you quite a bit during the process.

How a real estate lawyer can help you in selling your home

Most people hire a real estate agent to help them sell their house–helping with the advertising and marketing of the house, preparing for open houses, and helping prepare documents and negotiations. Good agents also take care of a lot of behind-the-scenes tasks, such as helping you decide which repairs need doing and getting recommendations on repair people. They’ll also help by responding to questions from other agents or even unrepresented home buyers about the property. Most real estate agents will even help by pulling out a mop when people at the open house are tracking in dirt. However, an agent might not necessarily handle every aspect of the transaction, and they are paid 5-6 percent in commission.

real estate lawyers

A real estate lawyer can review any offer you make or receive, and they’ll make sure that your rights are protected. If you do decide to hire a lawyer to help sell your house, be sure to hire someone who is qualified, experienced and insured. A good lawyer can help you with:

  • Buying and selling property
  • Deed transfers
  • Boundary disputes
  • Easements
  • Quiet title actions
  • Foreclosures and loan modifications
  • Landlord/tenant issues like evictions, lease drafting and review, habitability problems and housing discrimination
  • Other real estate-related legal matters
  • Reviewing the binder and reviewing or preparing the purchase and sale agreement, including negotiating its terms
  • Preparing the deed and power of attorney if necessary
  • Dealing with title issues as they arise and helping correct them
  • Attending the closing and reviewing all the papers you will be required to sign
  • Arranging for transfer of security deposits
  • Arranging for insurance certificates if needed